Perry Miniatures' Wicker sided cart & Ox wagon review

All armies need a baggage and a camp. My French army of the Hundred Years War was no exception. My mind was set as I remembered about Perry Miniatures carts and wagons before I even started thinking of what baggage train or camp I would make. Some tents with a campfire and civilians would have been a good idea for a camp but for now I settled for a supply train with two kits from Perry Miniatures : WR24 Ox wagon, complete and the smaller WR35 Wicker sided cart, both from the War of the Roses range. The timeline is a bit off considering my army is first half of 15th century but I don't think it matters much when it comes to wheel vehicule.
WR24 Ox wagon set is quite a big one. The four wheel wagon comes with four oxen, a wagoner and a women and her child sat on a big pile a supply which seems to be bedware and clothing plus some various bag.

It is a pretty heavy kit with many pieces.

The pair of yoke needs to be linked by a string or chain. I chose a chain regardless of historical accuracy because I already owned some from a previous project.

Because of the natural softness of whitemetal the wheels as well as the wagon structures itself were bent a bit. For the latest it is easy to adjust but the wheels cannot be adjust back to their original position. I had to let them in this bendy shape for fear to doing more harm.
The four oxen are actually two pairs with separete heads. A pair has the oxen having the neck downward while the other pair is straight. I recommend setting them opposite, in diagonal to each other to avoid having the same models side by side or one after the other.

The wagon before gluing and paiting.

The most difficult part of the kit is to decide what to to glue and then paint or paint and then glue... For the yokes, I decided to cut them and paint them separately. I glued them once the oxen where painted and close the metal piece where it was cut.

The base is two 12cm * 6cm mdf base 3mm thick by Sarissa Precision driler to one another.
The miniatures are all from the French Infantry box set form Perry with simple conversion. The whip is simple a thin 0.3mm copper whire. I did not use the original crew because they looked too much like late 15th century and were in civilians clothing. The resin supply did not look like military supply so I did not use it either hence the wagon being empty.



As can be seen on this picture I did not use the support that are supposed to go for the wheel to the side of the wagon. It is surely realistic but makes the mini to full to my taste.

WR35 Wicker sided cart is smaller kit. The cart has only two wheels and is pulled by one horse. There is also a wagoner but it did not use for the same reason as above.

The bendiness of whitemetal is clearly visible here, on the top. 

The box in which it arrived.

I chose to use the support this time because without it the slot in the cart where you are supposed to put it would have been visible or needed some green stuff.

Before paint ang glueing.

Here too, the miniatures are from French Infantry box set form Perry. The support on the side look good, I am happy.




Now I just need to fill those up with some supplies.


Commentaires