Arraying the army before next purchase

All my Perry Miniatures for my hundred years war French army are painted. The first step of building my army being doine I will very soon order the next batch of minis. But first, let's take a look !

It is overall well-balanced, with roughly 40% shooters, 40% melee infantry 
and 20% cavalry. A typical French army of the period would have 
way more men-at-arms though.
No need for more archers. Two units is enough in a French army.

I will need more crossbowmen. Those on the pictures are are French units of crossbow men, one formed unit and one skirmish unit both without pavises. They represent milicia and other royal or ducal crossbowmen.
In addition to that, I intend to make a contingent of Genoese mercenaries
containing two or three formed units a crossbowmen with pavises and their own commander and banner. 

This  incomplete unit will be completed with the next order
to form a full twelve men strong heavy infantry unit.

While many people use elite troops in disproportionate number, I particularly fancy basic and cheap core units in miniature wargaming because they make the mass of the army, the true humble hero and victims of war. Those spearmen and brigands are no exception. 
Historically, they formed the core of most militia in every fiefs of the kingdom along with crossbowmen. In time of need the king would call the arrière-ban, that is to say his vassal's army. These troops were often of dubious quality but raised in large numbers becasue their equipment was fairly cheap. Brigands would join for money or loot.
I will add a few for no particular reason other that I like them


More foot men-at-arms and mounted men-at-arms are to be expected of course.
The calvary will come later though.

My next order will focus on infantry. I intend to purchase three boxes of French infantry which to me is one of the best kit on the market. Buy ordering form Perry Miniatures website I will get a free exclusive Jean d'Arc on foot. She will make a great commander indeed. I will complement this order with bills and pavises to provide more variety to my troops. Lastly, I will also buy some carts and wagons that I will use as a camp. I will make an unboxing article about this order where I will also make size comparison of bills and pavises. 

Commentaires